- According to the World Meteorological Organization, Bangkok is the hottest city in the world.
- His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand was actually born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the United States of America, on December 5, 1927.
- HM the King is a renowned Jazz saxophonist who has played with many of the world's greatest Jazz musicians.
- H.M. The King once met Elvis Presley.
- Prior to 1913, most Thais did not have surnames.
- The dark skinned Thai women that Farang men love are not considered attractive by Thai men.
- Thailand is the only country in Southeast Asia where Christianity is accepted and protected by law.
- According to the 'Guinness Book of Records 1995', the Thai language has the second largest alphabet in the world. The largest alphabet in world - Khmer.
- Thailand has the longest place-name in the world. The full name for Bangkok: KRUNGTHEP MAHANAKHON BOVORN RATANAKOSIN MAHINTHARAYUTTHAYA MAHADILOKPOP
NOPARATRATCHATHANI BURIROM UDOMRATCHANIVETMAHASATHAN AMORNPIMAN AVATARNS ATHIT
SAKKATHATTIYAVISNUKARMPRASIT, meaning "The land of angels, the great city (of)
immortality, various of devine gems, the great angelic land unconquerable,
land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital, place of the grand
royal palace, forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits, predestined and created
by the highest Deva(s)."
- According to intensive research conducted by 'Journal of Vector Ecology 26 (2): 2001', about cockroaches in Thailand, it was concluded: 'an average of 5.2 cockroaches/house'.
'Chiang Mai, with 6 species, had the highest number of cockroach species recorded'
- The King possesses the largest faceted diamond in the world, the Golden Jubilee (545.67 carats).
- It is illegal in Thailand for women to visit night-time entertainment venues alone. They must go with a man! (Ha, ha - it's never enforced.)
- It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear. (But you can take them off when you get to the go-go bar!)
- Last year the hospital treated 400,000 foreign patients-the highest of any hospital in the world-from more than 150 countries.
- Barbers are usually closed on Wednesday in Thailand because Thai people think it will bring bad luck to cut their hair that day of the week.
- Thailand is the largest producer of pineapples in the world.
- Thailand's national anthem was composed by a German, Peter Feit.
Bio: British age 74 (young) retired and living in Thailand. Profession, Charity Auditor working in some 40 countries over the last ten years before retiring. Familiar with writing reports to professional standard. Sense of humour, reserved, realist and down to earth. Enjoy writing with a passion for the unusual.